View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Definitely give it more time to run in (at least 20-30 hours - dynamics and midrange will improve!); also, more importantly, your brain needs time to adapt to the new sound. I've been swapping between two Skys (40x and 20x) and a Lundahl 1931 (16x) with my new VAC phono stage. The different between these two types of SUTs alone (even after accounting for loading/gain differences) is about as profound as the difference between my Koetsu Coralstone and Shelter Harmony! Therefore, "mental break-in" is extremely important.

I find the Skys to pack a hell of a wallop down low; they are very much tilted towards warmth, bass impact, and a lush/thick midrange -- paired with Koetsu stones, they render about the most beautiful midrange I've ever heard. Treble extension and detail retrieval is very good, but far from "in your face" about it.

The 1931 sounds stunningly "crystalline". It's extraordinarily resolving and transparent, with absolutely amazing spatial information. Unfortunately, it definitely lacks low end impact compared to the Skys, and when paired with Koetsu it can also accentuate any hardness/shoutiness in the upper mids / lower treble region of a recording.

The Sky is parallel to the Koetsu's nature. The 1931 to the Shelter. I don't feel it's wise to fight the "nature" of a cartridge in an attempt to change its character!

Thanks a lot for these informations !!
I was actually wondering wether SUTs require break in or not. At least I do need psychological break in !