Thread: Emotiva Audio
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
-- Yes, some of their amps are good value; not the last drop in quality, but good enough for the money. ...I own the XPA-2 and XPA-5 myself, and I hate the RCA jack connectors! Gimme Tiffany RCA jacks, nothing else should be install with the XPA Series.
The blue lights? I don't give a damn as I can easily hide them.

BUT! There are some very good reasons why they cost less; Internet dealer, amplification circuitry implementation, and China made. Plus no safety label (they save money there too).
Like I said, they aren't the last drop in quality sound performance.

What they do is to play loud (they also have a much higher gain than other amps); a trick used to fool you in your imagination.

Yup, or they are made to use with cheap receivers with low input impedance.

But what truly amazes me is the bank of capacitors (low voltage, and not implemented for top efficiency). ...The transformer is the main power delivery.

Anyway, only the XPA-1 monoblocks could be mated with some high-end loudspeakers.
But then, they make noise by expanding and contracting! ...The heatsinks.
Nothing's perfect; you get what you pay for, no more.

For home theater duties where a lot of power is required, and where sound quality is not the essential priority,
the XPA Series are just fine.

I don't care for their speakers (never tried them and never will).
I also don't care for their CD players and DACs (read some bad stories that are enough to stay far away).
And absolutely not on their pre/pros (surround sound processors).
Emotiva is simply not equipped for that.

Emotiva is limited on the clientele they can truly serve and serve well.
It's like a cult, a clan of fanatics, without clues on what's up there on the higher and better echelons of life. They try too much IMO at expanding on what they should stick with in the first place; power amps.

That's my overall opinion regarding Emotiva. ...I could write a book, but I just won't.
Sounds like a pretty complete explanation of them. Thanks!