Thread: The CLX Sound
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
I have lived with my CLXes now for over a year. I just got a Stage center to round things out. I have been tweaking my JL f113 sub to better integrate and I am currently seriously considering a second sub and electronic crossover.

As I was warned, one issue with the speakers is that they are particularly unforgiving. Poor recordings just sound terrible. But then great recordings yield some of the best sound I've heard anywhere -the part that I love. It is with what is in between that troubles me. The average recording tends to be on the bright side. This is also true of some television in surround as well. I actually turn down the treble to compensate occasionally. It is the one thing that troubles me about these speakers.

I have all McIntosh gear which is known for its tube-like smoothness and Harmonic Technology cables that are also considered to be on the warmer side. So it is the speakers that appear to be the source of this excessive brightness.

Have others experienced this with CLXes or other Martin Logan speakers? Any suggestions on how I might address this?

Thanks!
I thought the CLX's were a bit bright, also. I found that working on the position and rearward pitch yielded an improvement. I used a pitch of 2.5 degrees (mine are 18' from the prime listening position) and made sure the angle of each was dead on when using the light method of alignment.

As for the Stage, I am seriously considering replacing my Stage with a Paradigm C5. I have come to the conclusion that the Stage is just not a compatible match for the CLX. The CLX and Stage are driven by MC601's.

I sent the following email to Martin Logan, a couple of weeks ago. I have not yet had a reply.

Today, my wife and I, saw the movie Skyfall in a 4k Ultra Theater. this was the first theater experience I have had in 15 years. The impression I left the with was that the Stage is the weak link in my system. The center channel audio in the theater was full, with a depth that my system sorely lacks.

I am going to experiment with increasing the sub woofer cross-over and even changing the system to a phantom center and letting the CLX carry the weight.

A new high-end center channel design should be a high priority.

Last edited by netroamer; 11-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.