View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM

Pat,
The CLSii has a very low sensitivity of only 84db/1m/1watt. You Paradigm bookshelf is probably at around 90db sensitivity. Effectively this means the Paradigm will play 4 times loader for the same volume setting. The reason you need to get the volume that high is that the overall gain in your system is relatively low. This is not a problem but will require higher volume settings. This is not something to worry about but there is another problem you should be aware of.
The CLSii is an extremely difficult speaker to drive and need a lot of power. The impedance of the CLSii drops to 1ohm at high frequencies. A solid state amp will be required to be able to deliver a lot of current or other wise it will be damaged. The good news is that because of the inherent design on tube amps and the fact that they use output transformers they essentially protect them selves from very low impedance loads. Not to become too technical here the result of all this is a role off of the high frequencies. It will be noticeable above ~15KHz.
I had the CLS and drove them with a tube amp and they produced great music. Actually the tube amp drove them best as most solid state amps I tried would give up as I raised the volume. With the tube amp I would get rolled off high frequencies but otherwise it would play flawlessly. Since I don't hear much above 15Khz it was never noticeable or presented a problem. Most people don't have much hearing at this high frequencies anyway.
Bottom line, if it sounds good don't worry about the high volume setting.