View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
The only reason I pay attention to what Paul is saying is to understand what his idea of good sound is. I have a PS Audio Directstream DAC, & he is instrumental in "voicing" the software. His idea of what sounds good touches my system with each update. So far, so good
I agree that my speakers are colored, but every speaker is it's own flavor. BTW I know someone who was not impressed at all with the sound of Paul's IRS V setup so onward we go into the fog.
Kev
All speakers are colored in their own way.

High End... Define high end? Exotic cabinets, exotic and high accuracy drivers such as tweeters that do not break up into the stratospheric frequency range where our own hearing cuts out at 20kHz? More like 12-15kHz as we start to age...

So the pretty typical scenario is: One reads all the reviews and listens to opinions which the internet is filled to the brim with, goes for the brand XYZ “high end” speaker capable of plumbing the 20Hz depths to 25kHz extremes that drives the neighborhood dogs crazy but one can’t hear the upper end to begin with. A said speaker is placed in suboptimal listening space where the excessive bass response excites room modes that rattle the house from the roof to the basement and resembles anything but high end bass response. The midrange is obliterated with bass overhang, bloom and ripeness, the early reflections of the untreated room cause a brain overload and listening fatigue in 5 min flat, your favorite music sounds like crap but surely the brand XYX cable upgrade will bring about a miraculous change... if not a better DAC or preamp will. In the mean time...
You wife looks at you funny, your dog hates you, your wallet despises you, the high end speaker sounds anything but high end in your room but at least the EGO says... I have a High End speaker.

No, it’s not the way this hobby should be.

Listen less to what others think and listen to a speaker that will bring you the most pleasure in the acoustic space you will be enjoying it in.