View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Initial impressions (paired with Earsonics EM6):

1. Physical build and quality is superb i.e at least on par with an iPhone and I would say higher quality as the body is more complex. The box, the leather case and the AK240 itself all scream high end.

2. Sound quality surpasses anything I've heard in compact form: Audioquest Dragonfly; Meridian Explorer and it seems better than my Ayre QB9 (but I've still to compare the AK240 with the QB9 and my top of the line STAX system - more about this later).

3. No doubt the DAC has high resolution processing any file format and delivering clear instrument separation and lots of detail. Also easy to notice by ear the diferences between CD quality and high resolution files. Sound signature seems well extended with clear treble and no complaints about lack of bass.

4. Loading the device with music files is easy. It connects to my Mac via android file transfer and then it's drag and drop. Occasionally the connection between the Mac and the AK240 is interrupted but it's an easy fix by unplugging the cable and reconnecting.

5. For those using Mac - Android File Transfer it should be mentioned that this Google program is very basic e.g allows to transfer files between the computer and the AK240 but doesn't allow to reorganize the AK240 so - plan before you start randomly dropping files in the AK240.

6.Interface / user experience very good. Simple, well organised, it works.

7. Drives easily any IEM and other low impedance headphones. I've tried my Earsonocs EM6 and my Grado RS1 - both work great. High impedance headphones will require an external dedicated amp. Needless to say that it's pointless to buy an AK240 and then use cheap / low quality headphones.

8. Good value for money despite the high price.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.