View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Recently reread the fabulous review of the Inspire amp by 10 Audio from back in 2016. He listened to 6V6, KT88, KT120, and KT150 tubes and preferred the KT120. But the only 6V6 he tried was a new production JJ.

"I found the 6V6 tubes to have a nice warm midrange, but with noticeably limited bass and upper treble response. KT88s sound very good, although I preferred the upper frequency clarity and extension offered by both the KT120 and KT150 tubes. The KT120 power tubes sound wonderful with the 95 dB Emerald Physics 4.7 speakers, which can deliver 90 dB SPL at the listening seats in my room with only 1.5 Watts (and 100 dB SPL with 15 Watts). These power tubes were also preferred with the Fritzspeakers Carrera BEs which have much lower efficiency spec of 87 dB."

http://www.10audio.com/inspire_fire-bottle.htm

I like the KT120 very much in mine. I've tried only the Russian Tung-Sol. Powerful, defined, and yet still smooth. Used in many high-end tube amps. I've read good things about the Shuguang Treasure KT-120-Z, but I believe it was discontinued and now very hard to find.

Saw this on another site in 2019, have not clue if it's true (not validated):

Quote: "

I copied this from another site and have been unable to confirm.

Not sure everyone is aware, but the Shuguang tube factory is closed. There was a fire last August. The fire was in a building adjacent to the tube factory buildings, so the good news is none of the tube manufacturing equipment has been damaged, but the Changsha city government won’t allow the tube factory to continue operating.

There had already been plans to move the tube factory. Latest word is the new Shuguang tube factory will begin production in about 18 months.

It appears all the good stock is gone now, so be wary of any stock that appears in the near future, it could be inferior quality that has been sold as they liquidate the remaining dregs in the warehouse prior to the move.
, endquote ".