View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k2000 View Post
I am long time owner of the Bryston SP3 and I have been very happy with the unit. However the player has become outdated over the years with advances in both hardware as well as software. I am at the crossroads whether it makes sense upgrading the player or replacing it and your answers to the following questions would greatly help that decision.

1. I currently have a Oppo BDP-103 and was planning to upgrade to the Oppo UDP-205 which has the latest Sabre DAC along with support for processing Dolby Atmos. If i upgrade the Bryston to the latest HDMI 2.0 Board I should be able to send the decoded PCM track to the Bryston which I presume the Bryston will be able to process though I might lose the Atmos coding. Is there any future plan or capability to enable the processor to decode Dolby atmos or do the cost benefits and design limitations far outweigh he effort?

2. After upgrading to the latest HDMI board while playing a SACD can I send a direct bitstream output to Bryston HDMI input? If it does accept a bitstream input can the DAC in the Bryston do a direct DSD to Analog conversion without doing an intermediary DSD to PCM conversion(I am aware I will lose distance and crossover processing if I go that route).

3. If the above is not not possible then if I upgrade to the latest USB input can the DACS handle a direct DSD to analog conversion? What is the maximum sampling rate for multichannel and DSD the USB input can accept?

4. If the DACs cannot do a direct DSD to analog conversion then what is the maximum PCM sampling rate for multichannel and DSD the DACs can process?

Did you email James and the guys at Bryston? They're generally very quick with responses