View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Congrats! I'm happy for you and glad you went with your ears. Did you feel the MC152 had bass weakness?
No weakness to speak of. Although the Bryston bass was a step above the MC152 bass, it could not match the MC152 on overall experience. It was easy for me to choose the McIntosh.

I thought the MC152 was a great amp; the bass was slightly quicker and more defined than the MC275. I chose the MC275 because of what I would describe as the almost ethereal nature of the vocals--they sort of hover above the speakers.

Just to be clear--of all the comparisons I made yesterday, this was the only one that was at all difficult in terms of ranking--I had to go back and forth several times to understand the differences. My take between the two amps is that they are extremely close in sound, with the MC152 a bit better on the low end and the MC275 a bit better on the high.

Overall, I would not say that one is a better amp than the other, only that for me and the music I enjoy, the MC275 is the better choice. Of course, if my listening preference was strictly hard rock, just for example, I would probably have reversed the order of preference for the 3 amps in question