View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 11:19 PM
Green Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isokawa View Post
The information i got is from German forum quoting PIA, international larget distributor outside Japan.

“The disadvantage of CD players is still that they do not switch off the laser if it is only used as a DAA converter.

Hello Hans,
Is it hearsay or do you have specific information about it?

Jörg
Quote jororupp from post # 10
Yes, that is the current state of the art from PIA. I don't understand either. Indeed, it would be easy to solve. And such obvious artificial aging is actually not the style of the house...”

Note : laser diode life from 7000 to 10,000 hours continuous use <Non-officially acknowledged hours rating from a MAJOR CD/LD player manufacture>

This is a light bulb in a sense and all light sources will eventually degrade.

Best would be to ask distributor or direct Accuphase Japan ...
There is a later thread in the same German Hifi forum (the main Accuphase thread, p192) which clarified the information above as "fake news".

A call with the PIA, the German Accuphase Distributor confirmed that there is no issue with operating Accuphase Players as DAC alone. The previous information in the above by Hans and Joerg was confirmed as incorrect and based on possibly outdated information (by 15 years). Unfortunately the link to the actual thread is not allowed per AA forum rules so here is the Google English translation:

"Feedback from the PIA on laser operation:

The laser is only activated when a CD is played - or in pause mode.

Any other statement is not true!

I could hear the frown through the phone ;-)

Who has given this previous answer by the PIA could not be traced either ...

So we can file this under fake news."

So in summary:
The Laser is off unless a CD is on play or pause.

Last edited by restock; 12-11-2020 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Links to other forums are against our rules. In addition only English posts are permitted.