View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Can you explain?

Hello everyone,

I need your help to explain the theory behind cables in particular Shunyata Alpha speaker cable.

I do have a super revealing and super expensive system. I am looking for a speaker cable to drive my speakers.

I do believe in speakers cables and how they make difference, this is based on personal experience. I did compare Nordost and Shunyata in my system.

My understanding that cables are supposed NOT to add or remove anything from the signal casing to the frequency. I also know that cables can ONLY remove (attenuate) parts of the frequency which will lead to an emphasis on some parts of the frequency. For example, some (I said some) copper cables attenuate high frequencies which make them bolder and warmer cables. On the other hand, "pure Silver" cables are supposed to be a superior conductor and supposed to send the whole frequency with no alteration. My questions is, is this applicable on Shunyata cables?

Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to try pure silver cables. Nordost is copper and around 1% silver. This combination cause the high frequencies to travel faster on the outer part of the conductor and cause the forwarded sound signature.

When I compared Nordost and Shunyata, I noticed that Nordost is more forward (which I don't like) and not as relaxing as the Shunyata. Does that mean Shunyata is attenuating highs? What about the Nordost, is it attenuating the low frequency to emphasize on the highs and provide the WOW factor for the first 20 minutes of listening?

I don't need a cable that attenuates something to emphasize on something else. I just need a transparent cable, not forward not laid back. My system is super expensive and the last thing I need is a cable that alter my system's voice.
What about the Shunyata Alpha? is it a transparent cable?

Last edited by Sonic Guild; 03-09-2020 at 12:55 PM.