View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Oppo may come along with the UDP-205D with streaming capabilities after the sales peak of UDP-205's has been reached. A Darbee version with streaming will probably add a couple hundred dollars to the retail price. I'll probably wait and bite when that happens, if it happens.
Hi Dan. Oppo has officially announced that there is no plan for a Darbee version of the 203 nor the 205 models, since it seems the Darbee chip is not compatible with the UHD format.

I will wait for the reviews, and the first few firmware updates, just in case, before I decide if I should consider the 205. As the happy owner of 4 Oppo models (980H, 95, 103 and 105), I am not sure if I need this new unit. There is no UHD TV in my foreseeable future, so unless there is a dramatic improvement in the sound quality, I may pass.

I am also disappointed that, once again, they did not include a larger display that can show album artwork, file folder names, metadata, etc. Ideally, I do not want to rely on a tablet or app in order to navigate the contents of a hard drive.

Also of note: no HDCD support and, like with the 203, no apps (I will miss the former, but could not care less about the latter).