View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepoint8 View Post
Jerome, thanks for sharing the lovely rack of Shindos on PABs

Have not seen the smaller PAB SE AVP on the secondary market. Would love to have a couple of them.

Do you think the CCQ is suitable for speakers below 90db? 70W of Class A can drive pretty much anything, including the power hungry Magico...I suspect.

I've had a good couple of hours listening to the Giscours but have not heard of the Monbrinson. Look forward to hearing your thought on comparing the two.

I have a Nagra MSA and really want to get a balanced output preamp to match it, I'm waiting for the right Shindo to appear.

Hello,

First, about the PAB platforms, I doubt that you may find them on the used market. They are really impressive. When you get one, you do keep it. You should contact Vladek at PAB with your needs. For multiple units you can get really nice discounts.
About the CCQs with speakers below 90 dB : clearly " yes BUT". Yes they are very powerful. BUT they are designed to work on minimum 8 ohm speakers, 16 being being better.
They were fabulous on my Harbeth 40.1, which are only 83 dB, but actually they were too good in the bass. The bass driver of the 40.1 is a 16 ohm driver. And goes very very low. And the CCQs were just too powerful there, and maybe too soft in the mids and treble so at high volume I was getting too much bass but at low volume the combo was excellent. The CCQs are really impressive for bass. I know someone who used an active Goldmund system with the top of the line speakers and he replaced the huge Telos monoblocks used for the bass by....Shindo CCQs.
You are making a bet if you buy a pair to be used with speakers like Magico. They could be fabulous or they could sound unbalanced.
They were by far the best amps I used on my Wilson WP8's but they are 93dB.

With the MSA you will really benefit from
Balanced outputs from a Shindo preamp. You should look for a VR or a Giscours. I have the Giscours now with the MSA on the RS10 and the partnering is stunning.

More to come on the differences between Monbrison and Giscours.