View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM

The Gungnir multi-bit is based on Schiit’s flagship Yggdrasil multi-bit converter which I own and love. It’s a winner and would be my first choice.

The Gungnir is a delta-sigma DAC based on the AKM chipset which is very well regarded.

So you can choose either flavor - Multibit or Delta-Sigma.

Schiit products give you more for less as they are sold factory direct.

The NuWave DSD is based on the ESS Sabre Delta-Sigma converter as are many other DAC’s. It shows as not available on the PS Audio website - I would check with PS Audio before ordering it as it may be out of production.

I have two DAC’s that use this technology; Benchmark DAC3 HGC, and Topping D50. They both sound excellent. However they don’t sound as nice as the Yggdrasil.

Your motherboard has an excellent audio section already so I’m not sure if you will see a lot of improvement with an inexpensive outboard D/A. That’s a helluva mobo you’ve got there!

As far as interfaces, I put optical at the bottom of the pile because of the two additional conversions required may limit ultimate fidelity; data to light and light back to data. That said, optical isolates the noise from your PC and prevents it from getting into your audio system.

No problem with USB from your mobo to any of the DAC’s. I highly recommend that you get a good USB A-B cable. The Shunyata Venom is a good place to start.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v