View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Ok,
I really did it now, I shook the branch with the big hornets nest . I am going to get a big
It won't be long before the moderator's come down from heaven, here to edit this forum. Let me tell you why I say this.

Yesterday, I went to Hi Fi House and compared Audioquest mid-low level cables retailing for around $400 for two to Transparent high level cables which retail for $2000 for two. I could not hear any difference between the two, nada. I am now convinced that resistance is the most important part of a speaker cable; as long as you have the proper gauge that can handle the current and runs are short ie less than 10 feet it is hard to hear any differences. How can we have a cable thread and not have this come up ?
Darn, I just typed a long response then deleted it...

I think you need to consider a few points when you noted you could not hear any difference. First, you were not listening to the cables in your own system in your room. The differences are usually subtle. Second, Did they swap out all the cables and interconnects? Having Company A's cable from pre to amp and Company B's cable from source to pre can cause synergy issues. Third, what were you expecting to hear? I am currently swapping out my MIT speaker wire for Transparent to match my interconnects. I am losing a "bit" of bass but am gaining something in the mid's where I can better hear the wood of guitars and vocals have a little less "ssss" attached. Note The MIT's actually cost me a bit more than the Transparent's did, so I am not having to justify the higher cost by finding subtle differences.

There are many people who do not want "boxes" in their cables such as those used by MIT and Transparent. Just like some people prefer what tubes do to the sound of a system versus solid state. You may well be one.

Saying that cables do not make a difference is similar to saying tires make no difference in the handling of a car.

Last edited by Still-One; 04-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.