View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgstereo View Post
Oppo BDP-105 or Oppo BDP-105D?

Much of a difference?
BDP-105 is a (fullHD) BluRay/Universal player with audio and video streaming capabilities and is compatible with UPNP/DLNA, SACD/DVDAudio/PureAudioBluRay/CD/DVD/BluRay and can upscale all video to UHD resolution but not play UHD BluRay. It is also a DAC using a respectable (but IMHO merely OK) SABRE32 9018 chip - with optical/coax/USB inputs and 7.1 analog RCA outputs and a set of stereo XLR balanced outputs.

BDP-105D adds the "Darbee" chip which improves video scaling/color, but for audiophiles, it also adds DSD over USB compatibility (the regular 105 only plays PCM over USB).

Sound quality wise - not much of a difference IMHO. But ability to play DSD over USB is a worthwhile upgrade if you are using it as a DAC.

In case you aren't aware...
a. Oppo is no longer in the audio/video business of building BluRay players (the parent company still makes mobile phones)

b. The 105/105D was superseded by the UDP-205 which IMHO is a very major upgrade. The 205 is also a universal player but now plays UHD BluRay discs as well. The DAC is a much much much better SABRE32 9038PRO - and streaming support now extends to Roon (Roon as a Transport) over Ethernet. It also supports MQA Hires decoding over USB. But because Oppo suspended that side of the business, the resale market for the 205 has gone nuts. In part because there is no clear replacement for the 205.

You have the choice between:
1. the Panasonic UB-9000 which is a UHD/BluRay player (plays CD/DVDs) but not SACD/DVD Audio, has IMHO the better AKM4493 DAC (which I prefer over the 9038) and has multichannel analog RCA 7.1 outputs and XLR stereo outputs. Audio streaming is supported via UPNP/DLNA.

2. the Pioneer LX500/LX800.

The LX500 is cheaper, and is a universal player like the Oppo 205 (playing UHD BD, FullHD BD, SACD, DVDA, DVD, CD) but doesn't have multichannel analog outputs like the 205/Panasonic 9000 nor does it have balanced XLR outputs. Streaming is supported over UPNP/DLNA

The LX800 is more expensive and adds balanced outputs BUT uses IMHO an inferior SABRE32 9028 chipset. But this is the same chipset used in Pioneer's standalone music streamer which is also highly regarded.

Hope this helps.

For my money, if I just want a good FullHD and UHD BluRay/DVD player, I would just get the cheap Panasonic UB820. The video processing is top notch (same as the UB9000) and I love how it makes my Sony 760ES projector, which doesn't have the same nits brightness as my LG OLED or Sony FALD LED LCD TV look as balanced as those flat panel displays, especially with Dolby Vision titles (which I have found looks worse on non Dolby Vision compatible displays).

It is also compatible with every known format to date (as of late Feb 2019) including
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG
Dolby Vision