View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......The Magnum Dynalab SR-100 antenna doesn't seem to be much more than a folded dipole with a base. It's primary advantage will be ease of installation, simple to connect to your tuner, and convenient to twist around for tuning the station you want. $35.00 won't break the bank, so hopefully it will work.

As for the Magnum Dynalab Internet tuners, you will still only be listening to MP3 sound no matter how well the design is of the analog output stage. Over the air analog FM signals deliver far better frequency range and dynamics, particularly when tuned to a station that prides itself on broadcasting a high quality, low compression signal. The FM (frequency modulation) audio spectrum ranges from 20 Hz to 15,000 Hz.
Even with the huge number of stations I'd have access to, I'm not quite sold on an internet tuner. I think the idea behind the suggestion was it's a way to bypass the reception problems inherent in an environment like mine. As for the SR-100, it has gotten at least one very positive review (in Affordable$$Audio) and seems well worth a try. The reviewer lived in a bad FM reception environment as well, which is encouraging (he was using a Mac MR67 tuner, by the way). The conversion to an MD 100 is not off the table, though, pending the results with the SR-100.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks