Thread: Modding a 5900?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Modding a 5900?

Anyone have any experience with Modded units...

I have had a 5900 a long time now, and have occasionally considered modding it. The 5900 imperticular is considered to be a very good choice for such upgrades as it's Digital topology is 100% balanced, only lacking in a balanced Analog stage. The Ultimate Mod has my attention the most.. the Idea of a fully balance Tube output section, on top of a bunch of other rocksolid modifications has me a bit dreamy.

I want to have the choice to have a great CD player/SACD player that will stay with me for a very long and glorious time. And there is added incentive to keep something that has been with me a long time already and mold it into something even more wonderful... breathing life and longevity back into it. (corny i know.).

I also have a 3800bdci, and while the video is great.. I'll be turning that in and eventually get something that is 3D certified.. So no point doing anything to that...

There is other options though too... Perhaps I could just get a High-end DAC (MDA1000 comes to mind). Or perhaps just get a high end CD player only (and save the sacd play back when I get a MVP88? of the future). Or Tube Dac like the "_______" (lol not sure you fill in the blank and let me know.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind... lol

I have confirmed the 5900 can get the Ultimate Mod for a retrofit price of $3,590. They claim it is the best modded unit they have ever created and will compete with any player at any price point... Now normally when you hear that sort of talk you wonder, but Chris Johnson was the brains behind the Mod, and is very respected individual in the industry. (or at least i think he is. lol)

Here's some info on the mods available...

Underwood HiFi high-performance modifications

Looking for any and all opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Round one to Chuck.