View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Update on LL2.1 tubes...

I ordered a matched pair of the new Genalex 6922 and 12au7 tubes from Tube Depot. Got them in three business days...great service!

After just 24 hours, here are some preliminary listening impressions. There is greater clarity to images. With vocals, it is as if the person is right in the room to a greater degree than I have ever experienced. Overall better, tighter, sharper, more 3 dimensional imaging.

The soundstage is quieter with less noise, hash and absolutely no noticeable tube glare. This allows the little micro details to be more noticeable. Background vocals are more prominent. While they are still in the background, they seem to have more presence.

There seems to be better tone throughout the musical range from bass to treble. Drum heads are more clear, brass and guitar sound richer and more real. Treble is clear with no etch or sheen.

It's been a really nice upgrade and relatively cheap as far as tubes go. I still plan to try some Siemens and Mullards down the road, but for now I am more than pleased with the Genalex. So far, highly recommended.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9