View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Default Please set me straight

Hello AA members! ~ As a Mac-owner-wannabe going back to the mid- to late-70s, we began searching for good used Mac equipment in about late-2004. The problem is that we were living in New Orleans (NOLA) at the time and, yes, we were blown out of town shortly thereafter. After more than 13 years of "get close to your neighbor" rentals, we finally purchased a new (to us) home at the end of September. Although all of our Mac equipment safely made it through Katrina, we are just now pulling it out of storage and FINALLY getting a chance to set it up again. This is great news, of course, but the problem is that audio and video have seemingly merged over the years and, quite sadly, I find myself feeling like an old cowboy who lost his ranch to a golf course designer ... and, to tell you the truth, I don't even remember exactly how to use some of our old Mac equipment properly. At this point, we're plugging our old Denon CD player into our old MX130, which is plugged into our older MAC4200, which is acting as a pre-amp for our MC300 amp. Now I distinctly remember using a pair of B&W N805s as rears and our B&W N802s as fronts in a makeshift 5.1 surround setup because I can still hear the Bell helicopters [virtually] flying over our heads as we watched our copy of Apocalypse Now, which was obviously routed through our system...somehow? My understanding, such as it is, is that the MC300 is strictly a 2-channel amp ... So here's obtuse question number 1: Does anyone have any idea how the setup I described herein could possibly be wired for four speakers? Perhaps I need a primer on older audio equipment? If so, perhaps someone might set me straight by pointing me to a good Mac reference of some kind? Although we love our old Mac equipment, we no longer have any operational or service literature of any kind for any of our equipment; hence, the need for some help from some kind Mac owners. By the way, we also own an old MAC4100 receiver that stills functions very well, but I don't believe that we ever involved it in our attempt at a Mac surround system. Thanks very much for your time and consideration ~ Bill