View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM

I spent a day at Boulder listening to the 3010 compared to the 2110. Thanks to Rich Maez and Boulder for letting me do that.

The 2110 is everything Mike Fremer wrote in his review in Stereophile. So the 3010 should not have been much better -- how much more can there be, right? On some recordings, the two were pretty close. But on others, the difference in resolution and impact was startling. The more dynamic and complex the music the bigger the difference is my takeaway. I listened to "Joey and Drums of Doom" from the Thank You For Smoking soundtrack, Beethoven 7th and 9th Symphonies, Zaide from the Amadeus soundtrack and many others.

I also saw the new 1110 faceplate -- the pictures on the internet just don't do it justice. It is a beautiful piece. The pictures make it look like there are wavy lines on it -- there are no lines. It is a relief -- several layers like a topographic 3D map. The same on the 1160.

I am going to buy a Boulder pre, just don't which one yet. The 3010 is too big for my rack (too wide) otherwise I would get it. I want to hear the 1110 before I opt for the 2110. So I will have to wait a little while.