View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
ejr1953.......It is one thing to create modular capability into a component, and another thing entirely to actually support that modular capability in the future. I don't mean to sound cynical but many companies have promoted modular upgrade paths and used this notion as bait and hook for sales only to abandon these models for newer models without ever offering the modular upgrades promised. That a modular circuit, DAC, phono stage, or tuner, can be plugged and unplugged into an amplifier's circuitry path doesn't mean a thing if it isn't supported with future improvements. Time will tell if McIntosh ever offers a DAC upgrade path that will truly be a plug and play replacement for the DAC in the MA9000. Color me skeptical. That isn't to be misinterpreted as me not recognizing the astonishing component the McIntosh MA9000 represents.
Dan..... I would think it's very expensive for Mc to keep launching new pre's and integrateds. For instance: c2300, c2500, c2600....what is next? In theory, developing a new DAC module should be simple to manage and much more cost effective in the long run vs. launching new pre every 6 to 8 months. Time will tell...