View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
Hoping someone could shed some light on what might be going on. I am getting TT rumble from my VPI Prime with a Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge after about 2 years of playing just fine. Its beginning to happen when I turn the volume up a bit but again didn't do this until recently. I did change the Pre but the noise floor is lower on the new pre. Here's the kicker ... it only does it on the first 1/5 of the record. Once it gets approx. 1/5 into the side I can turn it up as loud as I want with zero rumble. Not any at all! Very strange. Hoping anyone can provide a suggestion. Since it doesn't happen but at the beginning I don't think its feedback causing it and to be clear its the woofer pumping type of rumble that is probably in the 7-12 hz region. I used to have a hum problem but put it on an HRS platform and that was that for the hum. Could this be a bearing issue? And it does it on every record.

Call me curious George! :-)
I'm experiencing the exact same thing on my Prime with a Grado Reference Master. I had a Zephyr previously and I can't say when it started because I was primarily using my Martin Logans with the woofers not really in sight, but lately I've been listening to a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 and noticed the woofer pumping one night. I haven't spent the time to try and figure it out, there had been too many recent changes to account for. Mine is on a SRA platform, but previously had been on a Maple cutting board. I had been using Anti-Skate but now I'm not. I added the Dual Pivot but experienced the same thing when removing the dual pivot. So many variables and I just haven't had the time to troubleshoot.