View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 AM

Part 2:
The next issue was not HOW to hang, it was WHERE to hang the clouds?

I determined via calculations and a mirror, that I needed to hang approximately 6 panels. They had to be pretty close in proximity to avoid residual sound reflection/aberrations.

So, now that I knew how to hang them and a pretty good idea that my system would hold up the units, how do you actually measure and mark out the ceiling?

Very difficult.

Initially I was about to tackle the issue via straight up measurements, I drew on a piece of paper the ceiling, the dimensions, where each would go and since EACH panel had 4 points of contact with the hooks, I needed 6x4 = 24 hook coordinates!!

I had everything down to the nearest .25 inch, but once I started to measure, even with the help of lasers, the fact that my ceiling was angled, made for a very difficult and notoriously inaccurate measurement system and it was fraught with erroneous coordinates on the ceiling.

So what's next?

Well I was about to give up and call a handyman, but I realized no one was as anal as me.... so I figured, maybe if I could just get the center 2 panels up, it would make the remaining 4 easy to place... so I tried to lift the panel up to the ceiling and mark the borders... but because it was so heavy and I didn't want to involve the wife and my only help was Emma (my 2 year old), it was not working out. Plus I could not see where the hooks were since it was underside to the panel.