View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
If you have some other 6SN7's on hand try them. You are probably 'hearing' the tubes settling in. Give it more hours and try not to listen critically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
.. the biggest differences I've heard has been in swapping the 6SN7. Most sound good but some produce a more natural, open, airy sound than others. The one I liked least was a brand new reissue Russian Tung-Sol. I've never heard a JJ 6SN7 but did have a JJ 6DJ8 and didn't like it...
Found it, and I caused it by not using more neutral interconnect cables. Yep, it was my interconnects between the preamp/amp. First, I swapped in a 50s Sylvania 6SN7 same as I use on on my Cary SLP-98 preamp. Nope, not it. Swapped out higher end pure copper Cardas Golden Cross interconnects (known to be laid back / soft sounding in the Cardas line, normally used in my main system) in favor of a spare set of Apature JJ silver-over-copper interconnect cables. Instant change. Now it's more open, detailed, bass tightened a bit. Discovering the sound stage can be huge with the right synergy between interconnects at the source and between amp/preamp I'm finding out. The difference with interconnect cables is more noticeable (positively/negatively)with this amp as compared to others I've owned or demo'd. And with the cable change, my 91db speakers are plenty loud right now with this little Inspire [now] the top end opened up a little more. Also, tried the inspire with streamer direct and the SLPl-98 preamp in/out of the loop. I've concluded the Inspire definitely likes a good tube preamp in front for it to sound it's best. Discovering there are a few different things to mess with for tuning the sound outside of tube changes.

Last edited by decooney; 08-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.