View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
Thanks for the reply, source is Macbook Air >> Jkenny MK3 SPDIF converter >> NAD M51 (next to be upgraded) >> ARC REF 3 or AYRE KX5. I am really really liking the ARC Ayre combo, its just sublime. I also like the KX5 sounds but its not as thick & 3D as the ARC pre. The KX5 seems to be more laid back in its presentation and slightly less organic. Dont get me wrong, the KX% is a very fine pre amp for the money, and It does a better job with house, rock & roll and hip hop etc... but the ARC pulls away on accoustic music and heavy vocols music like Roberta Flack, Folk music and the like. As it stands I only have two gripes with my current setup; 1. It runs very hot, even when turned off the amp is very warm to touch. However if this is the price i must pay for the sonic purity i get in return then I can live with it, esp in the winter. 2. I like to listen to my music somedays really loud, and I am loving what I hear thus far but on certain types of music my lil vx5 sometimes runs out of steam. e.g. AC/DC @ 125db or hard house at the same volumes. I guess my question is are the models above just more of a good thing with the same sonic charectistics and just more power or does their flavour change as well? thanks in advance SJ
The main difference when stepping up to R series is not the power....VXR is very similar in output to vX5. The mono amps do add another 50% but in real terms that is only about 1.5db. The R series shine in the resolution, air and soundstage they present. I could live with the vx5 and do in two different systems....but the MXRs with the Alexia's present a large soundstage with the detail and resolution to identify the individual performers. While I have to work harder to see the performers with the vx5. All of the amps offer a natural and non-fatiguing presentation with an organic quality that I find to sound very close to live music.

On some music I prefer the vx5 original over the twenty version but on 85% I would go with the twenty....the twenty version also runs about 40% cooler. I have used a ref40 and ref5se with the MXRs and they pair well together. I do not have a kx5 but do have the KXR twenty....great preamp and prefer it with the MXR twenty. The Ref 40 is now used with a ref150 amp

Don't think you will go wrong with any of the options you mention