View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Sorry. One more question. I've read a bit about direct coupled vs coupled. Not really sure what this means other than what results you are supposed to get from each. Has anyone had any experience with direct coupled? Nor do I know how this relates to the mundorf caps. I really don't know my cap from a hole in the ground.
timm,
I tried to decide this and left mine stock with coupling caps. However, it's another "it depends on what flavor you like" kinda question. I remember Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio had a decent translation, for reference on his site, - quote, "get yours either with coupling caps or direct coupled. The typical SLP 98 you have read about in reviews has coupling caps. If you make it direct coupled, you will get more pop and snap at the top and bottom and the preamp will be extremely fast. While still tube, it will give you better bass slam. Better than any solid state preamp and will kick the snot out of..." [EDIT, removed...] "Want a smoother, more textured sound? Keep the coupling caps and you will be in heaven.", unquote.

Last edited by decooney; 01-07-2018 at 01:32 AM.