Thread: What Next?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restock View Post
I agree with Matt and MickeyC that the cartridge and step-up upgrade would be appropriate for a first step. The Dyna is a solid cartridge, but it is not close to the resolution or refinement of the EMT cartridge.

I would also consider the speaker side - I personally like the Devores with the Shindo, but you could also consider vintage Altecs or single driver Auditorium 23. A pair of Cain Abbys worked very well with my 6v6 Montille. The Devore would guarantee more refinement, resolution and flow than Reference 3A IMO.

Also, I would not discount the difference a Haut Brion/Cortese and Monbrison makes over the Montille/Aurieges. Much more texture, richness, extension, lots more bass and foundation. Frankly a huge step IMO, but maybe for a later stage. From my experience this is much bigger than a cartridge+step up change.

Last but not least - a Shindo IC between Shindo amp and Shindo preamp is a no brainer. You will need one anyway, even if you upgrade further up the Shindo line.

Good luck and enjoy what you have as well.

P.S.: I moved from Monbrison+Montille 6v6+Cain Abby to Monbrison+Haut Brion+Devore Super8 and each combination was very special, a great match, and very enjoyable.
I certainly agree with Restock on the pre-amp. I started out with an Auriege and when I moved to a Monbrison the difference was simply jaw dropping. Granted, at the time I was using a SS amp so it might've just been a better combo. The Monbrison tamed it nicely. As for cables & IC's, my experience differs somewhat. Though they certainly didn't hurt, it didn't hear a significant change to what I currently have and my money was better spent elsewhere. As always, I'd just suggest trusting your ears to determine your upgrade path -a good dealer will support you on that.