View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Kats....Welcome to AA!

thanks for the tip.. I'm a R2R newby & any help is most welcomed. If you have any direction with where to buy a de-mag & tape media would be appreciated.

The stereo/mono button is programmed for Type A (3M 996 tape) & Type B (SM 911). I would like to find a good reputable source for NIB medium.

I haven't played it yet as I've been waiting for some longer XLRs. Any day now!
Just google "handy-mag" they're easy to find. As far as tape, ATR tape is by far the quietest and very easy on a transport for a high output tape. It has been very reliable in the studio and we have not had any issue with it - Mike Spitz, the owner of the company, is as honorable as they come and takes care of his customers.

Now this probably means nothing to you, but the compression characteristics of ATR tape are very nice if hit with elevated levels. As far as NOS tape is concerned, I would stay away from 456 - lots of fun recording rock with it, but too noisy for your purposes. My favorite has to be 3M 996 - probably the best tape ever made, but alas it's age is starting to show in the reliability department.