View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 PM
That's a Deusy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
If those are heirloom tomatoes, meaning from very old non GMO'ed seeds, how come I never had those when I was a kid 55 years ago, and why are they popular only recently????

Enquiring (cynical) minds want to know!

I will say it is an interesting looking tomato.
Gary I will try to explain this from my novice body of knowledge. based on conversation with Karen Golden from Michigan Heirlooms and dozens of articles I have read.
Heirlooms are usually regional much of them brought over from Germany and Russia by individuals that had been in the family for several generations. From what I was told tomatoes are indigenous to the Americas and taken back to Europe by explorers. They were grown and crossbred in Europe as ornamental plants but not eaten until the 18th century. Essentially all tomatoes were heirlooms until hybridization by burpee bonine and others around 1940-50 or so. With the advent of the organic non gmo crowd , and the more recently the internet ,much more info about heirlooms from different areas has caused a boom in the prevalence of them.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003

Last edited by Doug Lax; 04-26-2018 at 06:56 PM.