View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 10:50 PM

Default Bryston SP3 Preamp-Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I assume you feed HDMI 2 from the Oppo to the SP-3 and HDMI 1 directly to the TV, the recommended setup. My SP-3 serves mostly as a switch and as a signal processor for surround and HT. Stereo is served separately in a by-pass setup.

Yes, that's what I do. I am able to feed 4k to the Oppo (if I want to) and the Oppo processes it and feeds 4k directly to the projector via HDMI 1 (video). The HDMI (Audio) from the Oppo goes to the SP3. I do not know what the Oppo does to improve the sound. All that I know is that I get a much improved multichannel sound when I add the Oppo in the sound path.

PS. I was reading a white paper put out by Oppo and it looks like the Oppo 205 has its own circuitry to improve the audio signals being fed via HDMI. Apparently it reclocks the signal and also lowers jitter. Like I said above, the resulting multichannel sound is much much better.

PS2. Since I have multiple HDMI sources and the Oppo only has one HDMI IN input, I'm going to see if I can find a HDMI switch so that I can funnel all HDMI sources to the Oppo and feed the SP3 with the HDMI audio from the Oppo. If I find the right switch (4k, HDMI 2.0, etc.) that would also eliminate the need for the 4k board upgrade on the SP3.

Last edited by nicoff; 02-02-2019 at 11:52 AM.