View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Hey Todd- The list of amps Matt gave you matches the info I received less than two weeks ago. I wasn't told by Matt, but by a reliable source. The CC34's should be nice match with the Altec's. I'd love to hear that combination. My version of CC34's had stock Telefunken EL34, and I believe they were around vintage 2009. They drove O/96's. I think they will appreciate the 16 Ohm load. Congrats on the CC's, and the Giscours. I think moving up the Shindo preamp chain is a no brainer. My Werner Crossover made a very special speaker a bit better. Refinement comes to mind...a bit smoother overall. But I will at one point toss those old backs (with stock XO) back on. It's been years since I've heard them.
Thanks! I lucked out and found a very pristine pair of 846A Valencias with nice cabinets, grills intact and perfect early drivers. I'm sure there are gains to be had based upon what I've read but I'm reluctant to do anything that isn't easily reversible to these time machines (Sounds like you've thought of that as well). As you know, the dynamics really are off the charts with these speakers. There are aspects of other speakers that I prefer but nothing I've heard puts you in the front row like the Altecs.