View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 12:59 AM

Default Little Ribbon Speaker: He flipped what and did what?!

That’s right baby, tonight I flipped my maggies completely around then flipped out! Attached is a photo for reference. My adventure with the LRS is 90+ days & 468 hours in. With the exception of moving them around one to six inches at a time, I settled early with the layout shown in the photo for burn-in.

With everything seemingly relaxed, I wanted to experiment with other configs. During listening sessions I usually clear the room of extra chairs and tables. The maggies were sitting 4 ft from front wall, 3 ft from side walls, with my chair 4 ft from back wall.

Tonight, I kept the maggies at 4 ft from front wall but reversed them. Moved audio rack to center of floor between speakers. Formerly 5 ft sat in between speakers. I now have 7 ft between them with the rack in the middle but 1.5 ft behind. My chair now sits dab smack up against the front wall centered. The rear half of the room is now wide open.

As I sat and measured distance between seat and speakers, I started thinking this might be a bad idea. I proceeded to fire up the Shindo monaural amps and quickly flipped-out!!! The soundstage? Massive! So big in fact, I wasn’t concerned with my neighbor potentially bangin’ on da wall, but her neighbor on the far side. In the next moment I suddenly realized I have bass. Tonight’s session has proved to be very satisfying.

Looking back, the first week of ownership I had thoughts of skipping room treatment and using those funds to get the .7’s. After tonight’s discovery, I’m now saving for bass absorbers, panels, diffusers and good rug for the LRS. I’d rather have the “little ones” playing at a higher level instead of the .7’s handicapped by the tea room.

Lastly, the most immediate challenge I face right now is the audio rack. Sitting in the middle of the room it’s taking up valuable real estate and posing as a trip hazard. Ah...the adventure continues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C0B59A77-9660-4C74-82E9-10B6F7120777.jpeg (372.1 KB, 165 views)