View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
Got the KWI-200 this afternoon. Yea! Immediately hooked it up to my Guarneri mementos and the Cambridge Audio 840 CDP (my computer source isn't ready yet). I put in Norah Jones and hit play.

For cold, right out of the box and completely not broken in...the sound was tremendous. Vocals were already warm and rich, and the bass was tight and tuneful. I will restrain from getting too analytic at this point as it is brand new, but first impressions are very good.

That is the good part. I will say that the amp is physically noisy. Not really a transformer hum, but definitely some mechanical noise. The noise is from the amp itself, not what is coming out of the speakers. Not sure if this will resolve in time, or if I may need to send it back. I'll give it some time and we'll see. One thing though, when the music is playing, I cannot hear the noise, so it is not THAT big of a deal.

All-in-all though, I am VERY happy with the amp thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks bring.
Hi can you elaborate on the physical noise as i am a bit confused, I understand HUM but what is physical noise.

I too very recently bought this amp and for a couple of weeks have run music through it 24 hours to burn it in. I have to say the sound has changed and more focused with accurate base.

My previous 2 amps were the Cary Audio solid state 7.125 & 200.2. Actually I have the the Cary SA-200.2 with me to compare it with the KWI 200 and I have to say both are very good.

My previous Integrated was the Pass Labs INT-150 which I did not like very much at all, maybe system synergy!!

I am not sure why Good Times had such a bad experience. Last year at the Toronto Audio show I was there for all 3 days, the Joseph Audio room had the pulsars hooked up to the KWI 200 and collectively every one agreed it was one of the best sound at the show! The funny thing was that room the set up was terrible layout wise and they had mid level cables connected with run of the mill power conditioner, yet the sound was so good, go figure.

And here we are spending thousands of dollars on cables, power conditioner, racks etc. Though I think the rack they had was very expensive!