View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Semi-audiophile

Correct, I was asking about gauge alone, apart from any benefit the cord might render due to geometry, construction, materials or something else. For me, the basic idea behind a heavier gauge is that in theory it might carry a bit more signal, thus I might get a bit more detail or air or something out of the music (Good grief—I think I'm becoming an audiophile). Going from 9 AWG speaker cable to 8 AWG made a difference, though not dramatic. More air around the music but no fundamental change in the music itself that I heard.

The Transparent HPPC on my 2300 replaced another 12 AWG cord, a WW Electra. There were noticeable improvements with this change, which was amazing to me.The HPPCs on my 501s were replaced with Transparent Premiums, which are 10 AWG, and there was improvement. Beside the heavier gauge though, the Premiums have network modules on them; perhaps that's a factor in the improvement I hear with them. So I wondered if 10 AWG might squeeze more out of the 2300, theoretically.

I do believe the power cord that came with the 2300 is 14 AWG, plenty heavy. Heck, even the 501s came with 14 AWG cords. A 10 AWG cord is about .625" or so in diameter (the PK10 is, at least), not much bigger than the HPPC if it is at all. But other than a sense of completeness or symmetry, I want to have some sense that this type of change is worth a shot when finances agree more. That will take a bit, so I have time to think about it and talk myself into or out of going ahead, and to do more research if the idea really becomes a "thing."
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks