View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Interesting design, I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of them once you’ve had some time with them. I have Shure SE535s and Westone WS80 customs. They both sound great, but the way the Shure rests in the outside of the ear does get uncomfortable on a long flight.
Hi Tony,
I fully agree with your impressions of the SE535s: they are my best-sounding and performing IEMs and have, on the whole a nicely balanced and quite neutral presentation, but I agree, they are kinda bulky and can become uncomfortable for extended wearing, and by that I mean for more than 60-90s minutes. I've had them for at least five years, but I hardly ever listen to them.

Regarding the Westone W40s: I bought these based on some good reviews I've read, but I've always been a bit disappointed in them. I find them to be a bit dark and wooly-sounding, definitely not as good as the Shures, but more comfortable.

Bottom-line: I've just kept coming back, over and over again, for years now, to my Etymotics: either hf3s with its in-line iPhone mic, or the hf5s, which are identical drivers, but without the inline mic. While the Etys are bass-shy compared to the Shure and Westones, I find I don't mind as I just prefer the overall neutrality, comfort, wearing and listening experience of the Etys over the other two.

So...I'm pretty excited about the Campfire Audio Comets, I've read they're very good for $200, and can compete with other IEMs under $1000. I also like their compact size and direct, straight-in-the-ear type of insertion.

They'll be arriving Wednesday, so I'll be posting my impressions with them.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.