View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Craig.......I appreciate the kind words. Do you use a radar detector in your vehicle? I am curious who uses radar detection, what models, and what the experiences have been.

Before retiring I always used company vehicles and put 60,000+ miles on them each year running between the home office in Florida and various projects in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North and South Carolina, and Texas. It took me a lot of windshield time to coordinate people and projects that required my presence, often for extended periods. When driving that many miles per year, a lot of it on Interstates highways and state roads, I did not waste much time getting from project to project or back to the home office, or back home. By not wasting time I mean I usually drove over the posted speed limit by 15 to 20 mph nearly every place I drove. A radar detector was a survival tool. There were a few times in all those years where I got caught on radar with instant-on and the Highway Patrol or State Troopers were well hidden. I paid some big tickets and once got up to 9 points on my license in a 12 month period. 12 points in a year is when Florida takes your license for a substantial time period. But for the times I got caught and ticketed there were hundreds of times my radar detector alerted me with enough time to reduce my speed to the speed limit before I was actually in the zone where my speed could be clocked with radar. Like I said, a radar detector was a necessary survival tool and using one saved me thousands of dollars in fines and my driver's license. Now a radar detector is just a signalling device I feel comfortable driving with to capture my attention and help me remain safe. The high speed days are behind me.

Hi Dan,

No, I have never used a Radar Detector. I probably, No, have, been lucky through the years but much like you, I don’t push the limits on the streets. I save that for my track driving.

Between racing in the 24hrs of LeMons and track days, I am getting my fill of high speed driving.

I do use WAZE when on the interstate. I find it pretty useful.

Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack