View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi David,

You have a terrific system and it sounds like it's only going to get better with the addition of the preamp. I've not yet had the opportunity to audition the Magico S5 but I've read that it's a world class loudspeaker with incredible bass among other things. My friend recently purchased the Aesthetix Pandora and he has fallen in love with the sound. It is incredibly smooth, warm and natural sounding and in my opinion, one of the best tube DACs on the market, regardless of price. What preamp are you looking to add to your system?? And are you looking to upgrade your digital source too because the Romulus / Pandora is going to be tough to beat. With its sound and build quality, they could easily be charging over $10K for it. I don't know much about Vitus amps but from what I've read, their warmth provides nice synergy with Magico's neutrality.

Best,
Ken
Thanks for your kind words Ken. I agree the S5's have amazing bass, though overall I find them a well balanced, smooth, coherent & slightly warm sounding speaker. They have a bit more relaxed presentation than the Q3's and a lower center of gravity in the midrange which I prefer.

I agree the Romulus/Pandora combo would be very musical and natural/organic sounding. I am really enjoying my time with the Romulus, though i'm looking a bit further up the food chain. I plan to upgrade to a CH Precision D1 sacd transport with dual mono analog output cards and Clock, then later add a CH C1 dac/preamp. At that point, I will bypass the Vitus's preamp and use it purely as a power amp which should further improve the sound.

Happy days ahead!