Thread: Magico S3?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Hi David,

Just enjoy the S5's my friend, don't start wondering already about other speakers (not even run in yet). The M5's were very wide and had a great soundstage.

Magico owner quoted in 2007 that for the V3 the curved baffle was so much better, all the S series have a flat baffle now, and sound great.
With all these manufacturers it is just how the wind blows, they have to make new models to survive.

Having said that, the S3 might be the sweet spot in the range, if the price is closer to S1 then to the S5.

Olaf
Hi Olaf, that's good advice. My S5's have only about 50hrs so far, so a long way to go before they're fully, or mostly run in. Manufacturing trends do evolve over time. I recall reading up on the new Accuton 'Cell Concept' drivers which are designed with the same acoustic centre for the midrange & tweeter to achieve time coherency in a flat front baffle, so it is possible to design drivers to achieve coherency & correct staging/imagining in a wide, flat front baffle. In fact, this reminds me of my previous Infinity Renaissance 90's which were designed by Arnie Nudell & Cary Christie (see photo below). The Rens were similarly designed with an unconventional wide, flat front baffle, rounded edges & a sculpted rear cabinet to eliminate diffraction and transient smearing, and to give a more 3D sound stage. Magico have also followed this philosophy with the S5

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-31-2013 at 08:55 AM.