View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Sounds like you're off to a great start in 2012!

As for a preamp, one thing to keep in mind is since Shindo dealers typically offer very generous trade-ins as you move up the line, it's a lot less painful to upgrade. No need to leap to the VR right away and you can enjoy each step along the way (just a thought).

As for amps, I find Shindo-sans naming amps after wines to be very appropriate. Personal taste is a huge part of it, but I also think that what you pair them with (continuing the metaphor if music was food) has a lot to do with how to enjoy them at their best. I'm sure some will disagree, but FWIW, here are my thoughts to get the discussion going:

F2a amps (Cortese & Sinhonias)
Slightly more romantic (yet refined) sound with a rich, wonderful tone. Smooooth. Excels with acoustic jazz/chamber music. I fell in love with the F2a sound years ago and now I own the Sinhonias paired with Silverbacks. I find Alberto's reviews of the Cortese right on the money.

GM70:
Cleaner/less romantic sound than the F2a but feels more dynamic, powerful, & precise. Would excels with orchestral or vocals (or anything for that matter if you prefer a cleaner sound). Not inexpensive and require more space than most other Shindo amps.

Haut Brion
Often described as "visceral" sounding, and I agree. Seems to be a popular with O/96 owners (which I also think is a terrific speaker especially for rock). Excels with rock/alternative.

Montrachet
I heard this amp way too long ago to fully comment. I'd be curious how others find this in comparison to the HB or CC.

300B
I was told this was one of the amps used to voice the O/96's -so I would imagine it would be a phenomenal pairing. I'd be very curious how this compares to your Sophia, but I haven't had the pleasure of hearing either yet.

Corton Charlemagnes
A buddy of mine pairs his CC's with O/96's and he's quite happy so far...another I haven't had the pleasure.

Also, if you haven't done so already, here's an interesting article you may find worth reading:
Innerworld Audio - "Honeyed, Luxe and Aristocratic"

Good luck & I look forward to comments from others.