View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 03:11 PM

I do this all the time, compare a digital hi-rez file to the vinyl version. At best they sound the same, where vinyl seems to win always is in sound stage, it has a wider presentation than any digital copies I have, I don't have many DSD files but these too, most of what I have is 24 bit FLAC files.
Clearly because of the lower noise floor of Digital files, you hear the music and that is all, one would think that would be enough.
But I find that digital can be too clinical and some of the breathyness of vocals and acoustics are lost, that I hear with records.

There is a song by Marillion on their album marillion.com, Interior Lulu where a vocal passage was given some echo/reverb in the mix and on the digital file it expands maybe 2-3 feet wider and pushed forward 4 feet past my speakers, nice.......The vinyl version, this same passage the vocals are literally pushed so far forward they are to the left and right of my ears, just crazy wide and forward. (And I sit about 12 feet from my speakers)

I admit I spend more on my analog end than my digital end...but that is what makes me happy.

Cheers