View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 06:36 AM
Semi-audiophile

Urges to upgrade/change something occur usually in the midst of a lull in playing my system; I recognize that I've fallen into one again here of late. That needs to change, especially as I'm off work for at least another 2.5 weeks recovering from shoulder surgery. Changing speaker cables didn't occur to me until Transparent suggested that would be a better upgrade than the ICs in terms of system impact.

I have more info now to help me navigate this latest episode. A 6 ft bi-wire run of either speaker cable (Plus or Super) would cost the same as the standard 8 ft version, so no savings there. Both are 10AWG. Even 6 ft is still too long, but I could live with that; my Kimber 12TC is 4 ft. I also learned that Transparent's tech allows them to maintain the gauge at the speaker terminals, which is cool. So would the Plus' network module offset the heavier gauge advantage of the 12TC (8AWG) in terms of performance? I don't know. I'd really need some sort of audition, which would be at home preferably; According to Transparent, Gen 6 cables are in very short supply for audition at the moment, maybe in a few months there'll be some; meantime, perhaps some Gen 5 is out there.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks