View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Help me find an integrated for my Sonus faber Toy Towers

I posted a similar thread in the Sonus faber sub-forum... but now the plot thickens and the options get more complicated... Wonder if you folks could help me.

I have a pair of Sonus Faber Toy Towers, which I purchased a few months ago and love. I am currently using a Marantz SR-5005 receiver to drive both the Sonus and the rest of my (more modest) 5.1 set-up, but I'm seriously considering adding an "audiophile-quality" 2 channel ONLY integrated amplifier with a "home-theater pass-through" input/option which would allow me to completely bypass the Marantz for serious 2 channel listening... which is, after all, what I end-up listening to the most.

This is what I am looking for:

- Integrated amp for around $3K.
- A home-theater "pass through" input or "amp in" option which would allow me to use the integrated amp as a power-amp only, in conjunction with my 5.1 receiver.
- At least 100 watts. 200 Watts would be ideal. Something with more than enough power to drive the Sonus with plenty of headroom and, at the same time, leave the door open for future speaker upgrades which might demand more power.
- XLR connectors a plus.
- Excellent build quality, reliability. I intend to keep the unit for years and years.
- Audiophile pedigree.
- Elegant and beautiful design.
- Regular dimensions. No behemoths would fit in my Bell'O rack.

My top candidate, so far, would be the Musical Fidelity M6i. Both Musical Fidelity and Sonus faber are well-known for their "sweet" and "mellow" sound. And fatigue-free listening is certainly a priority for me. I do not mind loosing a little bit of detail and "punch" as a compromise.

Digital source will hopefully be the Oppo 95 (once it becomes available), in order to take advantage of its terrific DAC. I only listen to CD's and SACD's, and this would be done via the Oppo's XLR connection.

The M6i has basically everything I am looking for at the moment, and the price is more than fair... but there are other options out there, including:

- Krell s300i (a little cheaper, more analytical, colder, brighter... with probably better punch and low-end, but less finesse..)

- A Prima Luna tube integrated. Apples to oranges, I know. Tubes. A LOT less power, but it could be my introduction to the tube world... Still a little hesitant on this one. I never owned a tube amp before and I am concerned about reliability, heat issues, the lack of power, etc...

- And what about the McIntosh MA6300? A little above my price range, I know... but I could maybe stretch a little bit... My concern is that this would be a "cheapo" Mc with the luxo price tag and none of the "magic". Reviews on this particular entry-level model are not the greatest... Also, it is a beast. Would not fit in my rack. Would have to place it on the floor.

Does NAD offer the "home-theater" pass through option? I am curious about their Master series...

Any other options you guys might think of that meet the criteria mentioned a few paragraphs above?

Any insights, ideas and comments would be truly appreciated.

I listen mostly to classical, soundtracks, a little bit of jazz and some rock/metal. My room is small to medium-sized and I sit 7 feet away from the speakers.

Thanks in advance!