View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
The PS DirectStream is breaking in nicely, this dac delivers a BIG soundstage, subtle details I have never noticed are ridiculous as I rediscover music I thought I knew. Some may feel the presentation is more forward and bright but to me is more musical as my Stradivari speakers tend to be on the warm side usually, my listening sessions are now 3-4 hours at a time . Combining Roon with DirectStream is a wonderful way to pass the time. I am in the process of deciding what my music server will be, for the moment I am running Roon through a Mac mini via usb . Roon automatically overrides the midi control in the Mac to play what ever the resolution of the music is which is displayed on the DirectStream. FLAC 16/44 sounds amazing, 24/192 and first unfold MQA 24/88 or 24/96 all sound wonderful. I am not hearing any edginess at all. I tried using the attenuated setting but prefer full volume high setting going into my Mcintosh C2300 pre amp.
I have also been enjoying the PS DAC and thought the sound quality / clarity and soundstage is much better. I have updated it to latest Snowmass 3.06 and though it is a slight improvement over the 3.05. I read from PS Audio forum that some PS DAC users claimed sound quality would improve further by lowering the DAC volume to around 80 (perhaps due to lower digital noise).

I currently connect the PS DAC to my Marantz pre-pro which I assume is suboptimal. Next step is to add a Mac Pre-Amp (C1100 or C2600).
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.