View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post

Hehe. Right now I don't have any plans for upgrading my system.

I'v heard many great HiFi-systems with old and well known turntables. Many friends use Garrard. Thorens, Lenco or EMT. In the HiGh End Show in Münich ther are often old turntables. They have been carefully serviced and upgraded with better spare parts. Verity Audio demoed their great speaker Sarastro II with a turntable that was based on Gararrd 401 an Audia flight amplification. That room was one of the best in the 2016 show and the turntable is named as one of the best there is by some people. I remember that room because it was one of my better HIFi experience in my hole life. And this was at a show... often there are not the best performance in shows so this was extraordinary.

Quite often I'v been surprised of how good old turntables are. All turntables have got their own signature both new and old. What is best is up to the listener. But with no doubt I often like the sound of old and carefully rebuilt turntables. I'v for some years had the plan of founding one turntable like that. Thorens TD124 and Garrard 301 or 401 are safe choices. The plan is to use it as a second turntable beside Brinkmann Balance.

Recently i found a very good looking Garrard 401 i Norway. It had been renovated by the well known British company Classic Turntable Company (CTC) and even further upgraded. I'm just in the beginning of setting it up. I want use arms, cartridges, Riaa, step-up and so on that favors musicality and drive over details.

To start with I will use Ortofon SPU Cartridges and upgraded/modified Ortofon TA-210 arm. Röcklinger PHA1 Riaa (price performance is as good as it gets I think) and try with world class Tamura transformers in a Fonolab step-up.

'

Last edited by Apexorca; 04-06-2024 at 03:52 AM.