View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Semi-audiophile

I have come to the idea of putting my Audio Research preamp back into the system, alongside the C2300. I would then perform some comparisons to settle once and for all which I prefer, using my CD player. With the tubes broken in more fully, the C2300 preamp has sounded much better than at the beginning. But while I've been more satisfied, there's still the nagging idea that the solid-state LS3 might yet have a bit more thump to it. And since I haven't played the system in about a week, perhaps I'll have fresh ears.

I'd like to do this with the least amount of hassle. Placing the LS3 was no problem; the trick is figuring out the connections. I'll have to see if I have any more Kimber Hero available (I don't think so). If not, I'm not going to buy anything just for the sake of this experiment, I'll just have to put up with the hassle. I do have a pair of AQ Black Mamba II which sounds similar, but has perhaps a tiny bit more bottom end based on experience with it and the Hero connecting preamp to power amps. But no comparisons until I work out the connection scheme.

I'd like to be able to connect and disconnect at the CD player, not the preamp (I'll have to move the preamp/power amp connections of course, but that's less hassle than the WBT-terminated Hero ICs on the front end). I do have 2 pair of AQ King Cobra I'm not using; perhaps that's the way to go if there's no Hero available. The other danger is if I discover in the process that I prefer the King Cobra to the Hero, and by no small margin.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks