View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
ylee, I've been surprised by the dearth of on-line conversations about ML's new electronics as I've found them to be incredible.

My speaker dealer does not carry Mark Levinson, but does carry McIntosh and Classe. I've found the same speakers sound better in my home. The reasons for that can be many, and only a few of those electronics based, but it makes me wonder. I will say that my dealer has their room treated and I don't.

To all, please don't take my comments as disparaging these brands. I find they sound great and I'd be pleased to own them. I'm just saying what my experiences and associated subjective observations are. I do mean to suggest that the Mark Levinson electronics and B&W peakers that I have are pleasing in the extreme (to me).

Finally, I was not expecting the welcomes but they are a classy touch. I feel welcome, and I appreciate your efforts to make it so.
Most audio dealers I've visited are compromised by the following​ constraints in regard to speakers:

1) Position of speakers - Dealers have multiple speakers in the same room. This makes auditioning of a specific model challenging as most are not willing to move each one into place for optimal imaging and soundstaging.

2) Sympathetic resonance from other speakers' cone drivers - especially woofers, while one listens to the model of choice literally color the sound one hears from a system when there are many other speakers in the room.

3) Unsympathetic pairing of cables, components, and other ancillary equipment, which may bring out harshness, dullness, or lack of pace and rhythm.

4) Rooms that while treated are not optimal in size and geometry.

I've listened to systems in such environments that cost north of $200k that didn't impress me.

This isn't to discount what you said. It's something I've noticed about how audio dealers have limited ability to bring out the best in a single component.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels