View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 10:47 AM

More from the CBS news article posted earlier —

Propelled by their work at Woodstock and the ensuing decades, Randall's company became an industry darling, known for making world-class audio equipment the old-fashioned way: by hand, and by some of this country's longest-serving employees. The average tenure is 17 years. Some workers have been at McIntosh headquarters for more than 40 years.

Randall started at McIntosh in 1986, as an engineer. He says, even though company ownership has changed multiple times, from domestic to foreign, the core philosophy has not changed: made in the U.S.A.

We asked him, "You have 138 workers. Any factories overseas?"

"No."

"Any jobs overseas?"

"No."

"Anything overseas?"

"Nothing overseas. As long as I'm steering the ship, you will never see it built or manufactured overseas."

"I'm sure you've been told this, but you can certainly make more money if you sent jobs overseas."
"Sure. Absolutely," Randall told us. "But my quality will suffer. And I won't allow that to happen."

That quality can be seen in the company's longevity.

"People always say, 'How long does our stuff last?'" Chuck Hinton, another McIntosh employee, told us. "We don't know how long they last. We've only been making them for 63 years."

Hinton spent twenty years waiting for a job opening at McIntosh. He says he hopes it's the last job he ever has.

"We love what we make and we think it's the greatest thing," Hinton says. "And if you guys like it too, great. Buy it."

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub