View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM

Default Modified Sonos and a very pleasant surprise ....

I love my Sonos immensely. It has given me many, many hours of musical bliss and exploration. But for some reason, and I don't know why, I dismissed it for playing music from my own library. Perhaps I just assumed what I would hear would be no better than what I streamed, which by the way is pretty good. Until today. I pointed the Sonos app to my own Apple iTunes aiff directory and hot d@mn what the hell was I thinking. It sounds freaking great. No crazy computer settings, share the folder on the network and wallah, my own music like on MOG or Spotify in uncompressed aiff. To borrow a phrase from a beloved AA member, Winner, Winner chicken dinner!!!!

I am happy, it blows away the streaming audio yet give me the convenience I've grown to love.

From the Sonos website:

YOUR MUSIC LIBRARYNo matter where you keep your personal music library—on your computer, iPhone®, iPad™, iPod touch®, network hard drive, or even a CD player, Sonos lets you wirelessly play all that music, all over the house.MUSIC STORED ON YOUR COMPUTERSonos gives your personal music collection, such as iTunes®, plenty of room to roam. You can store your entire digital music library (up to 65,000 tracks) on up to 16 PCs, Macs and Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices on your home network. Then, Sonos will wirelessly stream all the music you've ripped and downloaded—all over the home. And Sonos supports all the most popular file formats, too. If you haven't gone digital yet, it's easy to rip your CD collection or find a ripping service that will do it for you.

SONOS WILL PLAY BACK THESE POPULAR AUDIO FILE FORMATS:
MP3 (compressed)
WMA (compressed)
AAC+
iTunes
Ogg Vorbis
Audible (format 4)
Apple Lossless
Flac (lossless)
WAV (uncompressed)
AIFF (uncompressed)

Last edited by joeinid; 04-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.