View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 07:01 PM

I'm not sure why there is mention of needing an active crossover and things of that nature in order to BiAmp your 802's. I'm currently doing this as mentioned in my post earlier by way of a Classe CP-800 PreAmp and letting the internal speaker crossovers handle the signal separation. I'm feeding each pair of terminals on the back of the speaker a full range signal from the PreAmp and this is working very well for me. The built-in PreAmp volume control is handling the levels of all Amps. All amps are very closely matched though in terms of there output signal which I would say is definitely a requirement.

Before I took on this method of connectivity I confirmed doing things this way by emailing and having a conversation with B&W Support who said this is a perfectly acceptable way of BiAmping.

I can tell you from experience that there was a large difference in SQ for the better afterwards under any and all conditions. Prior to BiAmping, I was using the standard approach of BiWiring using only X 2 Monoblocs so I am very familiar with how the differences sound when comparing the two approaches.

Now there is one thing I would say you do need and that is X 2 pairs of Balanced Outputs on your PreAmp in order to accomplish this correctly. Both pairs of Outputs should be able to send a full range signal with adequate voltage to drive the Amps in question.

Again, I am not using an Active Crossover to accomplish this. Would an active crossover be better? Probably. Is it needed? No.